Winter by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4
Release Date: November 10th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends
Print Length: 824 pages
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Fairy Tales, Dystopia
Target Reader: Young Adult/Teen
REVIEW BY ELLE
Wohooo… The final book! Wait… what… the pages??!! R u kidding me?!! Okay… calm down.
I finished this long train wreck in 2 days. I think it’s my average speed for YA genre. Like I mentioned before, I RARELY read YA & Fantasy. BUT, Lunar Chronicles intrigued me because the fairy tale retelling. Guess what? I’m so surprised that I enjoyed this long journey. Satisfied enough.
What I liked:
- I loved Winter. She’s the most different character from all Snow White I’ve ever known. She’s not weak and stupid. Yeah, almost all Snow White is too naive. Winter never use her power and it droves her mad. She has a lunar disease and made her hallucinate. She has quick thinking and witty. Winter is my favorite character so far.
- Jacin Clay; her bodyguard and longtime (boy)friend. He’s very serious man and intense. Jacin is hardly likable at first but in this book, I loved him as much as Winter. They’re really adorable couple with special cases. I could feel their chemistry. They’have their own each other back. Even Jacin never shown his true feeling but I could feel his struggle to be with Winter.
- I thought we all too fast arrived in Lunar and it will end soon. But, it’s not like that. The author takes Lunar region very seriously and invite us to feel the atmosphere and environment around the Lunar. It only show the important part for the story and wrapped nice and quick.
- Cinder, Iko, Wolf, Scarlet, Cress and Throne has their adventure for the rebellion. They have on-off and doesn’t end for a long time. Well… two has gone, two is coming. Kaito himself has to face Levanna with his diplomatic style which I never like but it’s his only excess. Kaito is the least likeable hero for me. Cress and Thorne is an adorable couple but still immature. Scarlet and Wolf is the second fave couple because they’re strong and kick-ass!
- There are some unpredictable events that I never think of that will happened. Of course, the group meet some obstacle and it’s not an easy one.
“Do you ever think about the future?”
His expression turned wary. “Of course I do.”
“And … does it include me?”
His gaze softened. Releasing the overhead pipe, he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “That depends on whether I’m thinking about the good future or the bad one.”
Cinder tucked her head under his chin. “As long as one of them does.” ~Cinder to Kai
What I didn’t like:
- This is very long journey for a revolt. Not simple but complicated. Like shit happened all the time. They’re such an unlucky group. Hahaha… Sorry. It’s real! The plot is keep going backward and forward.
- I could just skip the battle part, you know. No adrenaline rush and forgettable. It should be the main point of Cinder’s plan.
- Anti-climax. Well, that’s easy. After all the act she has done, she’s gone just like that?? No suffer?? It’s too kind, you know. Unbelievable.
“I have lived in fear of her my entire life,” she continued. “If this is the only chance I’m given to stand against her, then I have to take it. I don’t want to hide. I don’t want to be afraid. And I don’t want to be separated from you, ever again.” ~Winter
** Long live Her Royal Majesty, Queen Selene Channary Jannali Blackburn of Luna. **